Place:


Leebotwood  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leebotwood like this:

LEEBOTWOOD, a village and a parish in ChurchStretton parish, Salop. The village stands on WatlingStreet, adjacent to the Shrewsbury and Hereford railway, 4 miles NNE of Church-Stretton; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Shrewsbury.—The parish comprises 1, 267 acres. ...


Rated property, £1, 759. Pop., 210. Houses, 44. The property is divided among a few. Coal and limestone are worked, and bricks and tiles are made. The living is a p. curacy, united with the p. curacy of Longnor, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £135. Patron, Lieut. Col. Corbett. The church belonged to Haughmond abbey; is ancient but good; and has a tower.

Leebotwood through time

Leebotwood is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leebotwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leebotwood, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10398

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leebotwood ".