Place:


Hughley  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hughley like this:

HUGHLEY, a parish in Atcham district, Salop; on Wenlock Edge, 4 miles SW by W of Much Wenlock r. station. Post town, Much Wenlock, under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 1, 110. Real property, £889. Pop., 98. Houses, 20. The manor belonged, in the 12th century, to Hugh de Le, -hence the name Hughley; and belongs now to the Earl of Bradford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £162.* Patron, the Earl of Bradford. The church is ancient, and has a bellturret.

Hughley through time

Hughley is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hughley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hughley, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10388

Date accessed: 08th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hughley ".