Place:


Badgeworth  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Badgeworth like this:

BADGEWORTH, a village and a parish in Cheltenham district, Gloucester. The village stands on a small stream, 2 miles S of the Gloucester and Birmingham railway, and 4 SW of Cheltenham. The parish includes also the hamlets of Bentham, Little Shurdington, and Little Witcombe; and its Post Town is Shurdington under Cheltenham. ...


Acres, 3,927. Real property, £7,202. Pop., 1,048. Houses, 227. The manor belongs to J. E. Viner, Esq., of Badgeworth House. There is a mineral spring. The living is a vicarage, united with the curacy of Great Shurdington, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £295.* Patron, J. E. Viner, Esq. The church is later English; consists of nave, north aisle, and chancel, with tower at the west end of the nave; and is in good condition. Cox's charities for the poor yield £100 a year, and other charities £10.

Badgeworth through time

Badgeworth is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Badgeworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Badgeworth, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10341

Date accessed: 21st February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Badgeworth ".