Place:


Heapey  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heapey like this:

HEAPEY, a township-chapelry in Leyland parish, Lancashire; adjacent to the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 2 miles NE of Chorley r. station. Post town, Chorley. Acres, 1, 456. Real property, £2, 267. Pop. in 1851, 495; in 1861, 396. Houses, 81. The decrease of pop. was caused by want of employment. ...


The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to W. S. Cari., Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. * Patron, the Vicar of Leyland. The church was built in 1750, and improved in 1829; and was intended in 1865 to be enlarged. There is a national school.

Heapey through time

Heapey is now part of Chorley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chorley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heapey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heapey, in Chorley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10322

Date accessed: 18th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heapey ".