Place:


Goosnargh  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Goosnargh like this:

GOOSNARGH, a township and a chapelry in Kirkham parish, Lancashire. The township is conjoint with Newsham; lies near the Lancaster and Preston railway, 3 miles NE of Barton and Broughton r. station, and 6¾ NNE of Preston; and has a post office, of the name of Goosnargh, under Preston. Acres, 9, 290. ...


Real property, £10, 275. Pop., 1, 307. Houses, 256. -The chapelry excludes Newsham, but includes Whittingham and Inglewhite. Rated property, £8, 031. Pop., 1, 171. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron; Christ Church, Oxford. The church is old but good; and consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with square tower. There are chapels for Independents and Roman Catholics. Bushell's hospital for decayed gentry, with an edifice resembling a mansion, has £855 from endowment; a grammar school has £65; the Whitechapel schools have £42; and other charities have £111 .

Goosnargh through time

Goosnargh is now part of Preston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Preston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Goosnargh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Goosnargh, in Preston and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10260

Date accessed: 24th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Goosnargh ".