Place:


Cound  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cound like this:

COUND, a village, a parish, and a division in Salop. The village stands near the river Severn, 3¾ miles E by S of Condover r. station, and 6½ SE by S of Shrewsbury. The parish is in Atcham district; and includes the chapelry of Cressage, which has a post office under Shrewsbury. Acres, 5, 530. ...


Real property, £8, 330. Pop., 908. Houses, 169. The property is divided among a few. Cound Hall is the seat of the Pelhams. Coal is worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; and, till 1864, was united with Cressage. Value, £650.* Patron, the Rev. H. T. Pelham. The church is ancient but good, with a tower; and there are charities £12. -The division is part of Condover hundred; and contains seven parishes. Acres, 19, 684. Pop., 2, 877. Houses, 540.

Cound through time

Cound is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cound itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cound, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10244

Date accessed: 26th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cound ".