Place:


Cockshutt  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cockshutt like this:

COCKSHUTT, a township and a chapelry in Ellesmere parish, Salop. The township is joined to Crosemere; lies 2 miles S of the Ellesmere canal, 4 miles N of Baschurch r. station, and 5 ½ W of Wem; has a post office under Shrewsbury; and is a seat of petty sessions. Rated property, £6, 776. Pop., 434. The property is subdivided. The chapelry was constituted recently; and is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £86. Patron, the Vicar of Ellesmere. The church is good.

Cockshutt through time

Cockshutt is now part of North Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cockshutt itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cockshutt in North Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10214

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cockshutt ".