Place:


Chetwynd  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chetwynd like this:

CHETWYND, a parish in Newport district, Salop; on the verge of the county and on the river Mees, adjacent to the Newport canal, and near the Stafford and Shrewsbury railway, 1½ mile N by W of Newport. It includes the townships of Howle and Sambrook, and part of Pickstock; and its Post town is Newport, Salop. ...


Acres, 3, 803. Real property, £3, 729. Pop., 719. Houses, 147. The property is subdivided. Chetwynd Park is the seat of J.B. Borough, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £705.* Patron, J.B. Borough, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1867, and is in the second pointed style. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £46.

Chetwynd through time

Chetwynd is now part of Telford and Wrekin district. Click here for graphs and data of how Telford and Wrekin has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chetwynd itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chetwynd, in Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10195

Date accessed: 29th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chetwynd ".