Place:


Souldern  Oxfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Souldern like this:

SOULDERN, a parish, with a village, in Bicester district, Oxford; 1½ mile ESE of Aynho r. station, and 3½ E of Deddington. It has a post-office under Banbury. Acres, 1,451. Real property, £3,834. Pop., 587. Houses, 128. The manor belongs to R. S. Cox, Esq. Some Saxon antiquities have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £550.* Pa.. tron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is of various dates, and has an early Norman tower. There are an endowed school with £50 a year, and charities £30.

Souldern through time

Souldern is now part of Cherwell district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cherwell has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Souldern itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Souldern, in Cherwell and Oxfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10178

Date accessed: 11th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Souldern ".