Place:


Westwood  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Westwood like this:

WESTWOOD PARK, an extra-parochial tract in Droitwich district, Worcester; 3 miles WNW of Droitwich. Acres, 1,380. Pop., 22. Houses, 4. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here, in the time of Richard II.; became a cell to Fontevrault abbey in France; and was given, at the dissolution, to the Packingtons. W. P. House was built in 1590, and is now the seat of the Right Hon. Sir J. S. Packington, Bart. The "Sir Roger de Coverley" of Addison was Sir Herbert Packington; and the writer of the "Whole Duty of Man," jointly with Bishop Fell, was a Lady Packington.

Westwood through time

Westwood is now part of Wychavon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wychavon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Westwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westwood, in Wychavon and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10132

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Westwood ".