Place:


Romsley  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Romsley like this:

KENELM (ST.), a chapelry in Halesowen parish, Worcester; 2 miles SW of Halesowen, and 2½ ENE of Hagley r. station. It is conterminate with Romsley township, and was constituted in 1841. Post town, Halesowen, under Birmingham. Pop., 377. Houses, 91. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. ...


Value, £125. * Patron, the Vicar of Halesowen. The church stands on the spot where the body of Kenelm, prince of Mercia, was found; succeeded a previous church of Saxon date; is itself of the time of Henry III.; retains a Saxon door of the previous church; has a fine pointed tower; and shows, on the S wall, a sculptured figure of a crowned child, said to represent St. Kenelm. Kenelm was the son of Kenulf, king of Mercia; was murdered, when 7 years old, by his sister Quendrida; and was canonised after his death.

Romsley through time

Romsley is now part of Bromsgrove district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bromsgrove has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Romsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Romsley, in Bromsgrove and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10079

Date accessed: 31st July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Romsley ".