Place:


Rock  Worcestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rock like this:

ROCK, a parish in the district of Cleobury-Mortimer and county of Worcester; 3½ miles S E of Cleobury-Mortimer r. station, and 4½ S W of Bewdley. It includes the village of Heightington, the constable wicks of Alton, Lower Lindon, Upper Lindon, Hollin-with-Stilton, Rock-with-Sneade, and Moor-with-Conningswick, and part of the chapelry of Far-Forest; and has a post-office under Bewdley. ...


Acres, 7, 754. Real property, £9, 140; of which £166 are in mines. Pop., 1, 379. Houses, 318. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £1, 110.* Patron, Mrs. Reiss. The church is mainly Norman, partly of the 15th century; and was recently restored. A chapel of ease is at Heighington; Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels are at Buckeridge; and a Wesleyan chapel is at Callow-Hill. There are two endowed schoolswith £10 a year, and alms-houses with £20.

Rock through time

Rock is now part of Wyre Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wyre Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rock, in Wyre Forest and Worcestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10078

Date accessed: 27th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rock ".