Place:


Clifton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clifton like this:

CLIFTON, a township in Eccles parish, Lancashire; on the Bury and Bolton canal, and on the Manchester and Bolton railway, at the junction of the East Lancashire railway, 4½ miles NW of Manchester. It has a station on the railway, called the Clifton Junction. Acres, 820. Real property, £10, 516, of which £6, 623 are in mines. Pop., 2, 140. Houses, 365. Coal is worked. Clifton House is the seat of J. Fletcher, Esq.

Clifton through time

Clifton is now part of Salford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clifton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clifton, in Salford and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10050

Date accessed: 18th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Clifton".