Place:


Brindle  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brindle like this:

BRINDLE, a parish and a subdistrict in Chorley district, Lancashire. The parish lies on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and on the Preston and Blackburn railway, near Bamber-Bridge station, 5 miles N by E of Chorley; and has a post office under Chorley. Acres, 2,935. Real property, £6,401. ...


Pop., 1,501. Houses, 265. The manor belongs to Lord Chesham. There are a cotton factory, print-works, chemical-works, brickworks, and quarries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £515.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is good; and there are a chapel at B.-Heath, built in 1864, a Roman Catholic chapel, a large boarding-school, a workhouse, and charities £31.-The subdistrict includes also part of Leyland parish. Acres, 10,388. Pop., 6,021. Houses, 1,112.

Brindle through time

Brindle is now part of Chorley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chorley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brindle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brindle, in Chorley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10024

Date accessed: 03rd March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brindle ".