Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MEANWOOD

MEANWOOD, a hamlet and a chapelry in Leeds parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies on the E side of a thickly-wooded dell, 2½ miles N E of Kirkstall r. station, and 4 N by W of Leeds; contains some handsome residences; and has a post office under Leeds. The chapelry was constituted in 1847. Rated property, £2,643. Pop., 1,321. Houses, 303. The property is divided among a few. Meanwood House is a modern mansion. The surface shows diversified scenery, and commands a view of the town of Leeds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £150.* Patrons, Mrs. and Miss Beckett. The church is modern; and was built at the expense of Mrs. and Miss Beckett.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Leeds CP/AP       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Meanwood

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.