Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MELLOR

MELLOR, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Blackburn parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands 2½ miles NW of Blackburn r. station.-The township contains also part of the hamlet of Mellor-Brook, which has a post office under Blackburn. Acres, 1,830. Real property, £4,080. Pop. in 1851,1,668; in 1861,1,398. Houses, 288. The decrease of pop. was caused by the removal of families to Blackburn. The manor belongs to the representatives of the late J. F. Hinder, Esq. Mellor House is the seat of H. Hargreaves, Esq. Mellor-Moor has traces of a Roman camp, and commands a fine view to the Irish sea. There are stone quarries and some mineral springs. A cotton mill is at Mellor-Brook, and hand-loom weaving is carried on.—The chapelry includes also the township of Ramsgrave, and was constituted in 1842. Pop., 1,718. Houses, 351. The manor of Ramsgrave belongs to Lord de Tabley. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The church was built in 1829, at a cost of £5,275; is in the pointed style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and lofty spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.—The sub-district contains also the townships of Balderstone, Osbaldeston, and Clayton-in-le-Dale. Acres, 6,227. Pop., 2,863. Houses, 577.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Mellor Tn/CP       Blackburn PLU/RegD       Lancashire AncC
Place: Mellor

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.