Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MELLOR

MELLOR, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Glossop parish, Derby. The village stands near the river Goyt at the boundary with Cheshire, 1¼ mile ESE of Marple-Bridge r. station, and 6 E by S of Stockport; and has a post office under Stockport. The township comprises 2,352 acres. Real property, £6,947; of which £120 are in mines. Pop., 1,733. Houses, 341. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire.—The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1838. Pop., 3,373. Houses, 687. The property is much subdivided. There are cotton mills, bleachingworks, and collieries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £123. Patron, the Rev. T. M. Freeman. The church stands on a commanding site, with extensive views; and is a very plain building, with an old tower. There are chapels for Independents, Primitive Methodists, United Free Methodists, and Roman Catholics, and an endowed school with £25 a year.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Glossop CP/AP       Mellor Ch/CP       Derbyshire AncC
Place: Mellor

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.