Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MERTHER

MERTHER, a parish in Truro district, Cornwall; on St. Clement's creek, an inner offshoot of the Fal river., 6 miles E by S of Truro r. station. Post town, Tresilian, under Probus, Cornwall. Acres, 1,726. Real property, £2,088. Pop., 384. Houses, 79. The manor and most of the land belong to Viscount Falmouth. Tresawsen, now a farm-house, was formerly the seat of the Hals family, and was inhabited by William Hals, author of t he "Parochial History of Cornwall. ''Tresilian bridge spans St. Clement's creek, at the boundary with Probus parish; and a commerce up to that point is carried on in coal, lime, and timber. The gate-house of Tregothnan, the seat of Viscount Falmouth, adjoins the bridge. Here was the place where the royal army surrendered to Fairfax in 1646. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £32. Patron, the Vicar of ProbusThe church is ancient but good; and has a tower surmounted by a wooden bell-turret. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school with £20 a year.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Merther Ch/CP       Truro PLU/RegD       Cornwall AncC
Place: Merther

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.