Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MICHAEL-PENKEVIL (ST.)

MICHAEL-PENKEVIL (ST.), a village and a parish in Truro district, Cornwall. The village stands 1½ mile from Mopas ferry on St. Clement's creek, and 4 SE of Truro r. station; and has a post office, under Probus, Cornwall. The parish comprises 1,189 acres. Real property, £984. Pop., 194. Houses, 35. The manor belonged to the Penkevils; passed to the Courtenays, the Carminows, and the Boscawens; and belongs now to Viscount Falmouth. Tregonian and Nancarrow are old seats. The rocks are slaty, and have traces of copper. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £156.* Patron, Viscount Falmouth. The church was originally a fine structure of the 13th and the 14th centuries; was partly restored, partly rebuilt, subsequent to 1859; a buttressed tower, including a curious oratory with a stone altar; and contains a metal tablet of 1515 to the Rev. John Trembrass, and a monument by Rysbrach to Admiral Boscawen.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: St Michael Penkevil CP/AP       Truro PLU/RegD       Cornwall AncC
Place names: MICHAEL PENKEVIL ST     |     ST MICHAEL PENKEVIL
Place: St Michael Penkevil

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.