Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MILTON-DAMEREL

MILTON-DAMEREL, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Holsworthy district, Devon. The village stands on the river Waldon, 5 miles NNE of Holsworthy, and 12 SSW of Bideford r. station; was anciently known as Middleton; and has a post office under Brandis-Corner, North Devon. The parish contains also the hamlets of Whitebeare, East-Wonford, and West Wonford. Acres, 4,252. Real property, £2,661. Pop., 684. Houses, 132. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Courtenay. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Cookbury, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £378.* Patron, the Rev. W. D. Anderson. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and transept, with porch and tower; and was reported in 1859 as not good. There is a national school.—The sub-district contains also four other parishes. Acres, 21,281. Pop., 2,542. Houses, 502.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Milton Damerel CP/AP       Milton Damerel SubD       Holsworthy PLU/RegD       Devon AncC
Place names: MIDDLETON     |     MILTON DAMEREL
Place: Milton Damerel

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.