Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MILTON-BRYANT

MILTON-BRYANT, a village and a parish in Woburn district, Beds. The village stands 2¼ miles SE of Woburn, and 4½ SE of Woburn-Sands r. station; and has a post office under Woburn. The parish comprises 1,480 acres. Real property, £2,118. Pop., 345. Houses, 72. The property is divided among a few. Two manors here belonged, at Domesday, to Hugh de Beauchamp and the Bishop of Baienx; went to Sir Francis Bryan and Woburn abbey; and passed to Sir Hugh Inglis, Bart. The Manor-House is the seat of Lady Inglis. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £252.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has a white tower and a painted window; and contains a monument, by Chantrey, to Sir H. Inglis. There is a parochial school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Milton Bryan CP/AP       Woburn PLU/RegD       Bedfordshire AncC
Place: Milton Bryan

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.