Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MILTON-KEYNES

MILTON-KEYNES, a village and a parish, in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks. The village stands on the river Ouzel, 1¾ mile W of the boundary with Beds, 3 NW of Woburn-Sands r. station, and 3½ S by E of Newport-Pagnell; and has a postal letter-box under Newport-Pagnell. The parish comprises 1,842 acres. Real property, £3,554. Pop., 346. Houses, 72. The manor and most of the land belong to G. Finch, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £600. * Patron, G. Finch, Esq. The church is decorated English; was thoroughly restored in 1864; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower. A handsome national school was built in 1 859. Bishop Atterbury was a native, and that prelate's father and Dr. Wotton, author of "Reflections on Ancient and Modern Learning, ''were rectors.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Milton Keynes CP/AP       Newport Pagnell PLU/RegD       Buckinghamshire AncC
Place: Milton Keynes

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.