Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MIMMS (NORTH)

MIMMS (NORTH), a parish in Hatfield district, Herts; adjacent to the Great Northern railway, and to the boundary with Middlesex, 3 miles SSW of Hatfield r. station. It contains the hamlets of Roestock, Waterend, Little Heath, and Welham-Green; the last of which has a post office under Hatfield. Acres, 4,925. Real property, £7,835. Pop., 1,095. Houses, 227. The property is snbdivided. The manor belonged to the Magnavilles, and passed to the Knolles, the Hydes, and the Osbornes. North Mimms Park is the seat of Col. F. S. Greville Nugent; Brookmans, of R. W. Ganssen, Esq.; Mimm Wood, of Mrs. Ashton; Osborne Park, of G. J. Robinson, Esq.; Pottrells, of J. Wheen, Esq.; Abdale, of A. M. Cooke, Esq.; Hawkshead, of S. Soames, Esq.; Moffats, of T. G. Wood, Esq.; Littleheath, of J. Walker, Esq.; and Leggats, of Mrs. Kemble. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Valne, £250. * Patron, R. W. Ganssen, Esq. The church was built, in the time of King Stephen, by Sir Hugh Magnaville; was recently restored, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire; and contains many brasses and monuments. There are a national school, and charities £64.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: North Mimms AP/CP       Hertfordshire AncC
Place names: MIMMS     |     MIMMS NORTH     |     NORTH MIMMS
Place: North Mimms

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.