Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MORDON

MORDON, a village and a parish in Croydon district, Surrey. The village stands 1¼ mile SW of the river Wandle, 1½ SS W of a station of its own name on the Wimbledon and Croydon railway, and 5¼ WNW of Croydon; and has a post office, under Mitcham, London S. The parish comprises 1,422 acres. Real property, £5,039. Pop., 654. Houses, 125. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged once to Merton abbey, and belongs now to R. Garth, Esq. Mordon Hall was formerly the manor-house, and is now a school. Mordon Park, Mordon Hill, Mordon Lodge, and the Rectory are chief residences. Snuff-mills are on the river; and a large brickfield was lately opened on Mordon Common. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Valne, £353.* Patron, R. Garth, Esq. The church was rebuilt of brick in 1636; has stone decorated windows, which probably belonged to the previous church; has also an embattled tower; and contains some brasses and monuments. There are an endowed school with £36 a year, an endowed Sunday school with £30, and charities £29.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Croydon PLU/RegD       Surrey AncC
Place: Morden

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.