Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MORVILL

MORVILL, a village and a parish in Bridgnorth district, Salop. The village stands on a small affluent of the river Severn, 3 miles W by N of Bridgnorth r. station; and has a post office under Bridgnorth. The parish contains also the township of Aston-Eyre, and comprises 5,166 acres. Real property, not separately returned. Pop., 507. Houses, 101. The property is divided among five. Aldenham Hall is a chief residence. A priory, a cell to Shrewsbury abbey, was anciently here. The parish is a meet for the Wheatland hounds. The living is a p. curacy, united with the chapelry of AstonEyre, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £204. Patron, Lord Sudeley. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. A Roman Catholic chapel is at Aldenham Hall. Charities, £24.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Morville AP/CP       Bridgnorth PLU/RegD       Shropshire AncC
Place: Morville

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.