Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for MOULSHAM

MOULSHAM, a hamlet and a chapelry in Chelmsford parish, Essex. The hamlet lies on the right bank of the river Chelmer, immediately suburban to Chelmsford town; and is populous. The manor belonged anciently to the Crown; was given to Westminster abbey; and went, at the dissolution, to the family of Mildmay. Moulsham Hall was rebuilt. for Earl Fitzwalter, by Leoni; is now the seat of Sir H. B. P. St. John Mildmay, Bart.; and contains some interesting portraits, including one of the founders of Emmanuel college, Cambridge. A small Dominican priory stood on the spot still called the Friars. Some Roman relics were found in 1850.—The chapelry was constituted in 1838. Post town, Chelmsford. Pop. in 1861,4,229. Houses, 865. The living is a p. cnracy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £290. * Patron, the Rector of Chelmsford. The church was built in 1841, at a cost of about £2,500; and is in the early English style, with a bell-turret.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Chelmsford CP/AP       Essex AncC
Place: Moulsham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.