Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NAILSTONE

NAILSTONE, a village and a township in Market-Bosworth district, and a parish partly also in Ashby-de-la-Zouch district, Leicester. The village stands on abranch of the river Anker, 3 miles N N E of Market-Bosworth, and 3 W S W of Bagworth r. station; and has a post-office under Hinckley. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. Real property, £4,051. Pop., 302. Houses, 71. The parish contains also the township of Barton-in-the-Beans, and the chapelry of Normanton-le-Heath. Acres, 3, 806. Real property, £8, 443. Pop., 639. Houses, 146. The manor of Nailstone and Barton belongs to Earl Howe; and that of Normanton belongs to L rd Belper. Coalwas recently discovered in Nailstone township; and shafts for working it were formed in 1864. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £500.* Patron, the Crown. The church was recentlyrestored, and has a tower and spire. The p. curacy of Normanton is a separate benefice. There are a Baptistchapel in Barton, a Wesleyan chapel in Normanton, and national schools in Nailstone and Normanton.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Ashby de la Zouch PLU/RegD       Leicestershire AncC
Place: Nailstone

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.