Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NEMPNETT, or Nempnett-Thrubwell

NEMPNETT, or Nempnett-Thrubwell, a parish, with a village, in Clutton district, Somerset; near the source of the river Yeo, under the Mendip hills, 6½ miles S E of Nailsea r. station, and 8 N E of Axbridge. Post-town, Blagdon, Somerset. Acres, 1, 772. Real property, £2, 200. Pop., 259. Houses, 48. The manor belongs to Sir Charles K. Tynte, Bart. A barrow, 180 feet long, 60 feet wide, and 45 feet high, covered with brushwood, is at Fairy-field; consists of stones, supported at the sides by a wall of thin flakes; and includes two rows of cavities, in some of which human skulls and small bones were found in 1789. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £265.* Patron, the Rev. S. Trueman. The church is of the15th century; and consists of nave and chancel, with Sporch and massive tower. The parsonage was built in 1859; is a handsome structure, in the pointed style; and stands on elevated ground, commanding rich views from the Mendips to Bath. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £35.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Nempnett Thrubwell CP/Ch       Clutton PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place names: NEMPNETT     |     NEMPNETT OR NEMPNETT THRUBWELL     |     NEMPNETT THRUBWELL
Place: Nempnett Thrubwell

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.