Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NEWLYN

NEWLYN, a sea-port village in Paul parish, and a chapelry partly also in Madron parish, Cornwall. The village stands on Mounts bay, under Paul hill, ¾ of a mile S W of Penzance r. station; was burnt by the Spaniards in 1595; consists chiefly of one street nearly½ a mile long, with several deflecting alleys; carries on extensive fisheries, with about 300 boats; is notable for malodour of fish-refuse and cottage-dunghills; and has a post-office under Penzance, an inn, and a large brewery. A small harbour, with a pier, admits vessels of 100 tons; and a new harbour was projected in the latter part of 1865, to comprise two piers inclosing and protecting a water-area of about 80 acres, to have a depth of 15 feet at low-water spring tides at the pier-heads, and to be constructed at a cost of £50,000. The chapelry was constituted in 1848. Pop. in 1861, 3,086. Houses, 678. Pop. of the Paul portion, 2, 904. Houses, 642. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £130. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a sea-port village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Madron CP/AP       Cornwall AncC
Place: Newlyn

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.