Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NEWQUAY

NEWQUAY, a village in St. Columb-Minor parish, Cornwall; on a small bay of its own name, continuous south-south-westward with Watergate bay, and undershelter of Towan Head, 7 miles W S W of St. Columb-Major. It is a coast-guard station, the seat of a considerable pilchard fishery, and a rising watering-place; and it has a head post-office, † designated New Quay, Cornwall, two good inns, a small harbour, with a pier, and chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans. A beach of firm smooth sand extends 3 miles adjacent to it, beneath arange of romantic cliffs; a sandstone of recent origin, formed from blown sand, and compact enough to be quarried for building purposes, is on the shore; and rocks of much interest to geologists, and a recently-opened lead mine, are in the neighbourhood. A railway, intended to go across the county from Newquay to Par, was begun by the Late Mr. Treffry of Place House, Fowey; and a line, 5¼ miles in length, from the St. Dennis branch of that railway, to the Cornwall near Burngullow, and to be called the Newquay and Cornwall Junction, was authorized in 1864, on a capital of £27,000 in shares, and £9,000 in loans.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: St Columb Minor CP/AP       Cornwall AncC
Place: Newquay

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.