Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NEWTON-WOOD

NEWTON-WOOD, a village and a parish in Oundle district, Northampton. The village stands on an affluent of the river Nen, 2½ miles W by N of Elton r. station, and 4 N of Oundle; and has a postal letter-box under Wansford. The parish comprises 1, 590 acres. Real property, £2, 594. Pop., 529. Houses, 111. The manor and much of the land belong to the Earl of Westmoreland. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £136. Patron, the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is ancient; was long a chapel of ease to Nassington; was restored in 1862; and consists of nave, aisle, chancel, and S porch, with a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £30.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Oundle PLU/RegD       Northamptonshire AncC
Place: Woodnewton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.