Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NORMANTON

NORMANTON, a parish in Grantham district, Lincoln; 2¼ miles W of Ermine-street, 2¼ N N E of Honington r. station, and 7 N N E of Grantham. It has a post-office under Grantham. Acres, 1, 540. Real property, £2,040. Pop., 172. Houses, 37. The property is divided among a few. The manor and most of the land belong to Earl Brownlow. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £104. Patron, the Marquis of Bristol. The church is partly Norman; was recently restored; comprises aisles and chancel; and contains an old font. Charities, £5.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Normanton CP/AP       Grantham PLU/RegD       Lincolnshire AncC
Place: Normanton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.