Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NORMANTON-LE-HEATH

NORMANTON-LE-HEATH, a chapelry in Nailstone parish, Leicester; 1¾ mile E of the boundary with Warwick, and 2½ S E by S of Ashby-de-la-Zouch r. station. Post-town, Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Acres, 1, 320. Real property, £2, 680. Pop., 178. Houses, 36. The property belongs to Lord Belper. The chapelry is a meet for the Atherstone hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £210.* Patron, the Crown. The church is ancient; was restored in 1853; and has a tower and spire, beautiful windows, and an old carved screen. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Nailstone CP/AP       Normanton le Heath Ch/CP       Leicestershire AncC
Place: Normanton le Heath

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.