Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NORMANTON

NORMANTON, a village, a township, and a parish in Wakefield district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to a junction of the Midland, the North eastern, and the Lancashire and Yorkshire railways, 3 miles E N E of Wakefield; and has a head post-office, ‡ and an important railway station with telegraph. The township comprises 1, 181 acres. Real property, £3, 342. Pop. in 1851, 495; in 1861, 563. House, 111. The parish contains also the townships of Altofts and Snydale, and comprises 3, 974 acres. Real property, £13,008; of which £4,000 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1, 238; in 1861, 1, 923. Houses, 364. The increase of pop. was chiefly in Altofts, and arose there from the opening of new collieries, and the building of many new cottages for the miners. The property is not much divided. The manor of Normanton belongs to S. L. Fox, Esq.; that of Altofts, to H.M. Ingram, Esq.; and that of Snydale, to J. W. Torre, Esq. Newland Hall is the seat of J. Locke, Esq.; and occupies the site of a preceptory of the Knights of St. John. Altofts Hall is now a farm-house. Snydale Hall is the residence of Major Thursby. An ancient camp, with a fosse, was at Normanton village; and part of the fosse is still traceable. An artificial mound, supposed to have been a barrow, is on the E side of the village. Collieries are in Normanton and Snydale, as well as in Altofts; and about 200 houses, chieflyfor miners, have been built on Normanton Common. A large iron foundry is at Normanton; and three maltings are at Altofts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £264.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is in a mixed style, chiefly pointed; was recently repaired, and to some extent re-built; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains a very old register chest, and several monuments. An endowed grammar-school with £20 a year, and charities £4, are in Normanton; and a Wesleyan chapel and a national school, the latter built in 1867, are in Altofts.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Normanton AP/CP       Wakefield PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Normanton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.