Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NORTON-UNDER-CANNOCK, or Norton-Canes

NORTON-UNDER-CANNOCK, or Norton-Canes, a village and a parish in Penkridge district, Stafford. The village stands adjacent to Watling-street, near the S side of Cannock Chase, 1¾ mile E by S of Wyrley r. station, 2¼ N W of the Wyrley and Essington canal, 2¾ W N W of Brownhills r. station, and 5¾ N of Walsall, and has a post-office under Stafford. The parish contains also the hamlets of Little Wyrley and Brownhills. Acres, 4,077. Real property, £17, 599; of which £10,000 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 968; in 1861, 1, 628. Houses, 290. The increase of pop. rose from the extension of mining operations. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to W. Hanbury and P. F. Hussey, Esqs. Norton Hall and Wyrley Grove arechief residences; and the former belonged to the Bishops of Chester, and passed to the Aston family. Coal and ironstone abound; and the coal is extensively worked around Brownhills. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £330.* Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church was rebuilt and enlarged in 1832, at a cost of £1, 220; has a pinnacled tower; and contains an ancient font. A section of the parish, containing a pop. of 783 in 1861, is within the chapelry of Ogley-Hay, constituted in 1854. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed school with £39 a year, and charities £16.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Norton Canes AP/CP       Cannock PLU/RegD       Staffordshire AncC
Place names: NORTON CANES     |     NORTON UNDER CANNOCK     |     NORTON UNDER CANNOCK OR NORTON CANES
Place: Norton Canes

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.