Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NOTTING-DALE

NOTTING-DALE, a chapelry in Kensington parish, Middlesex; on the West London railway, near Shepherd's Bush station, 4½ miles W of St. Paul's. It was constituted in 1864; and its post town is Notting-hill, under London W. Pop., about 3,000. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, not reported. Patron, Miss Kaye. The church was built in 1863, afterdesigns by E. B. Keeling, at a cost of about £6, 500; is in the pointed style, of polychromatic bricks; comprises nave, aisles, and transepts, in a manner of studied irregularity; has, at the one angle of the W front, a stonebrooch spire, at the other angle, a fine square tower, with lofty slate spire; and contains 1, 500 sittings. A Baptist chapel was erected, within the chapelry, in the same year, at a cost of £1, 800; consists of a reconstructed slip or eleven bays of one of the annexes of the International Exhibition building; and looks, at a distance, exactly like a long narrow shed.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Kensington CP/AP/Vest       Middlesex AncC

Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.