Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for NUTLEY

NUTLEY, a village and a chapelry in Maresfield parish, Sussex. The village stands near Ashdown forest, 5 miles N N W of Uckfield r. station; and has a post-office under Uckfield. The chapelry was constituted in 1847. Pop., 731. Houses, 137. Nutley Court is the seat of J. L. Bush, Esq.; Pippingford Lodge, of J. Mortimer, Esq.; and Twyford, of R. Trotter, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £125. Patron, the rector of Maresfield. The church was built in 1848; and is a stone edifice, of nave and chancel.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Maresfield CP/AP       Sussex AncC
Place: Nutley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.