Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for OFFENHAM

OFFENHAM, a village and a parish in Evesham district, Worcester. The village stands on the river Avon, 1¼ mile S of the boundary with Warwick, and 2 N N E of Evesham r. station: took its name from King Offa, who had a house at it; and is a very retired place, untraversed by any carriage-road. The parish comprises 1, 215 acres. Post-town, Evesham. Real property, £3, 380; of which £12 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 400; in 1861, 461. Houses, 95. The increase of pop.arose from the temporary presence of workmen employed in rebuilding the-church. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belonged anciently to the abbots of Evesham; and f ments and extensive foundations of a mansion of the abbots were discovered, a few yearsago, in diggings near the present manor farm-house. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £130.* Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1861, at a cost of about £1, 800; is in the early decorated English style; comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a vestry; and retains thetower of the previous edifice, of late perpendicular date and embattled. There are an endowed school with £12 a year, and charities £7.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Offenham CP/AP/Ch       Evesham PLU/RegD       Worcestershire AncC
Place: Offenham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.