Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for OLDBOROUGH, or Oldbury

OLDBOROUGH, or Oldbury, an ancient camp in Cherhill parish, Wilts; on a lofty promontory of thechalk range, 3½ miles E S E of Calne. It is square, rounded at the corners, and partly double-ditched; and it is supposed, by Milner, to have been occupied by the Danes, after their defeat by Alfred at Ethandune. The Lansdowne column stands within its area; the Cherhill White Horse, cut on chalky ground about 1780, is on the adjoining slope; and the Wans dyke traverses thedowns to the S.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "an ancient camp"   (ADL Feature Type: "historical sites")
Administrative units: Cherhill CP/Ch       Wiltshire AncC
Place names: OLDBOROUGH     |     OLDBOROUGH OR OLDBURY     |     OLDBURY

Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.