Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for OLDCOTT

OLDCOTT, a township in Wolstanton parish, Stafford; on the Grand Trunk canal and on the North Staffordshire railway, 2 miles N E of Newcastle-under-Lyne. It contains the village of Golden Hill; and is included in the chapelry of Tunstall. Real property, £4, 795; of which £650 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1, 683; in 1861, 2, 238. Houses, 438. Coal and iron ore are worked; and much industry is carried on in potteries. There is a Wesleyan chapel.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Wolstanton AP/CP       Staffordshire AncC
Place: Oldcott

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.