Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for OLDLAND

OLDLAND, a village, a parochial division, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in the district of Keynsham and county of Gloucester. The village stands near the river Avon, at the boundary with Somerset, 1½ mile N E of Keynsham r. station, and 5 E S E of Bristol; and is large. The parochial division includes the village, is part of Bitton parish, and comprises 2, 589 acres. Post-town, Bitton, under Bristol. Real property, £12, 412; of which £235 are in mines, and £21 in iron-works. Pop., 5, 869. Houses, 1, 243. The manor belongs to H. Howard, Esq. Soundwell is the seat of R. Lowe, Esq.; and Stonehillvilla, of Mrs. Gale. The Duke of Monmouth is said to haveencamped on a meadow here, a few days before the battle of Sedgemoor. Market-gardening is extensive. Coal ismined; and the making of hats and pens is carried on. The chapelry includes only part of the parochial division, and was constituted in 1821. Pop., 1, 618. Houses, 345. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £43.* Patron, the Vicar of Bitton. The church is good, and has three galleries. There is a national school. The sub-district comprise Oldland parochial division and Mangotsfield parish Acres, 5, 180. Pop., 10,091. Houses, 2, 165.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parochial division, a chapelry, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Oldland Ch/Hmlt/CP       Gloucestershire AncC
Place: Oldland

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.