Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for OTTERINGTON (North)

OTTERINGTON (North), a township in Northallerton district, and a parish partly also in Thirsk district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Wiske, and on the Leeds and Northallerton railway, near its junction with the main line of the North eastern, 3 miles S of Northallerton. Acres, 782. Real property, £1, 400. Pop., 66. Houses, 11. The parish contains also the townships of Thornton-le-Beans and Thornton-le-Moor; and its post town is Northallerton. Acres, 3, 625. Real property, £5, 821. Pop., 630. Houses, 139. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £180.* Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1868, and is in the early English style. Charities, £4.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Thirsk PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place names: NORTH OTTERINGTON     |     OTTERINGTON     |     OTTERINGTON NORTH
Place: North Otterington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.