Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for OUTWELL

OUTWELL, a village and a parish in the district of Wisbeach and counties of Cambridge and Norfolk. The village stands on the old river Nen and on the Wisbeach canal, immediately N of Upwell, and 5 miles S S E of Wisbeach r. station; and has a post-office under Wisbeach. The parish comprises 506 acres in Cambridgeshire; and, together with a part of Emneth, 2, 512 in Norfolk. Real property of theportion, £2, 107. Pop. in 1851, 442; in 1861, 381. Houses, 91. Real property of the N portion, £6, 169. Pop. in 1851, 1,006; in 1861, 884. Houses, 197. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to W. Townley, Esq. Beaupré Hall is the residence of the Rev. W. G. Town-ley. A hermitage or Benedictine house stood ancientlyat Molycourt; and was made a cell to Ely by Henry VI. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Va-lue, £631.* Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is a brick building, covered with cement; was recently repaired, at a cost of £2, 200; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a mixed school, and charities £163.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Outwell CP       Outwell AP/CP       Outwell CP       Cambridgeshire AncC       Norfolk AncC
Place: Outwell

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.