Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PACKINGTON

PACKINGTON, a village and a parish in the district of Ashby-de-la-Zouch; the parish chiefly in Leicestershire, but partly in Derbyshire. The village stands ¾ of a mile E of the boundary with Derbyshire, and 1¼ S of Ashby-de-la-Zouch r. station; and has a post-office under Ashby-de-la-Zouch. The parish contains also the hamlet of Snibston, and part of the chapelry of Coalville; and comprises 2,020 acres in Leicestershire, and 340 in Derbyshire. Real property, £24, 488; of which £18, 502 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1, 294; in 1861, 1, 190. Houses, 242. The decrease of pop. was caused by migration ofcolliers. Pop. of the Derbyshire portion, 252. Houses, 57. The manor belongs to Lady Edith Hastings. The land and collieries of Snibston belong to a colliery company. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £330.* Patron, Lady Edith Hastings. The church is early English; has, at different times, been partly rebuilt; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. A very old chapel is in Snibston; and there are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a free school, and charities £59.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Packington Tn/AP/CP       Derbyshire AncC       Leicestershire AncC
Place: Packington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.