Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PACKWOOD

PACKWOOD, a parish in Solihull district, Warwick; near the Stratford canal and the Birmingham and Oxford railway, 1½ mile S of Knowle r. station, and 4¾ N N E of Henley-in-Arden. Post-town, Henley-in-Arden, under Birmingham. Acres, 1, 655. Real property, £2, 767. Pop., 292. Houses, 60. The manor belongs to P. W. Martin, Esq. Packwood House, a fine ancient half-timbered mansion, is the seat of J. Fetherston, Esq. Aylesbury House belongs to J. H. W. Aylesbury, Esq., and isoccupied by E. J. Payne, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £174.* Patron, P. W. Martin, Esq. The church is ancient. Charities, £4.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Packwood Ch/CP       Solihull PLU/RegD       Warwickshire AncC
Place: Packwood

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.