Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PEAKIRK

PEAKIRK, a parish, with a village, in Peterborough district, Northampton; on the Great Northern railway, adjacent to the river Welland at the boundary with Lincolnshire, 3¼ miles S E of Market-Deeping. It has a station on the railway, and a postal letter-box under Market-Deeping. Acres, 630. Real property, £1, 864. Pop., 246. Houses, 56. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £335.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Peterborough. The church is partly Norman, partly of laterdates; and has a bell-gable campanile. A chapel of the13th century, in the geometric style, stood in the village; belonged to Crowland abbey; is now a dwelling-house; and has a well-designed E window.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Peakirk CP/AP       Peterborough PLU/RegD       Northamptonshire AncC
Place: Peakirk

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.