Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PETER (St.)

PETER (St.), a parish in Jersey; 4½ miles N W by W of St. Helier. It contains the village of Beaumont, which has a post-office under St. Helier, Jersey. Acres, 2, 875. Pop. in 1851, 2, 497; in 1861, 2, 671. Houses, 375. Much of the land is beautiful and romantic valley. Beaumout hill commands a fine view over St. Aubin'sbay. St. Peter's barracks were erected during the warwith France; have been long unoccupied, except occasionally; and are visible at a great distance from the sea. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Governor. The church hasthe loftiest spire in the island. There is an endowed school, with about £50 a year.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Jersey CrProt
Place names: PETER ST     |     ST PETER

Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.