Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PICKHILL

PICKHILL, a township and a sub-district in Thirsk district, and a parish partly also in Bedale district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Swale, and on the Ripley and Northallerton railway, 1¾ mile N N E of Sinderby r. station, and 6 W by N of Thirsk; and bears the name of Pickhill-with-Roxby. Acres, 2, 131. Real property, £3, 373. Pop., 416. Houses, 81. The parish contains also the townships of Howe, Ainderby-Quern how, Sinderby, Holme, and Swainby-with-Allerthorpe; and its post town is Thirsk. Acres, 5,006. Real property, exclusive of Holme, £7, 672. Pop., 783. Houses, 155. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to W. Rutson, Esq. There is a Saxon camp. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £152. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £52. The sub-district excludes Swainby township, but includes South Otterington parish and two townships of Kirby-Wiske. Acres, 8, 447. Pop., 1, 557. Houses, 333-


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Pickhill CP/AP       Bedale PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place names: PICKHILL     |     PICKHILL WITH ROXBY
Place: Pickhill

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.