Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PINCHBECK

PINCHBECK, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Spalding district, Lincoln. The village stands near the river Glen and the Peterborough and Boston railway, 2 miles N by E of Spalding r. station; and has a post-office under Spalding. The parish contains also the hamlets of Pinchbeck-Bars, Mill-Green, Guthram-Cote, Crossgate, Matthews, and others; and includes part of Cowbit-Wash. Acres, 11, 640. Real property, £29, 653. Pop., 2, 933. Houses, 608. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to M. Johnson andF. Bonness, Esqs. Grove House and Bridge House are chief residences. There is a large scutching mill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £700.* Patron, the Rev. W. Wayet. The church is early and later English; was restored in 1864; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. The p. curacy of West Pinchbeck is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, two national schools, and charities £96. The sub-district excludes the part of Cowbit-Wash, but includes smallparts of two other parishes. Pop., 3,052. Houses, 632.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Pinchbeck AP/CP       Pinchbeck SubD       Spalding PLU/RegD       Lincolnshire AncC
Place: Pinchbeck

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.