Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for PLEASINGTON

PLEASINGTON, a township in Blackburn parish, Lancashire; on the river Darwen, and on the East Lancashire railway, 3 miles W by S of Blackburn. It has a station on the railway; a Roman Catholic chapel, built in 1819, at a cost of more than £20,000; and an endowed school, with £10 a year. Acres, 1, 600. Real property, £3, 414; of which £155 are in quarries. The manor, with P. Hall, belongs to J. B. Bowden, Esq. P. Hall is amodern mansion in the Grecian style. P. Old Hall was built in 1587, and was a fine mansion, but is now a farm-house. Feniscowles Hall is the seat of Sir W. H. Feilden, Bart.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Blackburn CP/AP       Pleasington Tn/CP       Lancashire AncC
Place: Pleasington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.